Research and Innovation Action (RIA)
H2020 call: FIRE+ initiative
Start date 01/01/2015
Duration: 48 month
Total EC funding: 6.995.733 €
- The development of a strategic experimental infrastructure for mobile IoT;
- To support of the entire experiment lifecycle with fully detailed, controllable and replicable conditions;
- The integration of Cloud resources and networking facilities provided by the Europe’s Research and Education Network (GEANT);
- The provision of a proof of concept for extending the IoT paradigm in the world of autonomous mobile devices and remote piloted systems with real time characteristics; and
- The implementation of a reusable architecture that facilitates the testing of hardware, protocols, algorithms, middleware and application protocols.
The basic idea behind RAWFIE is the automated, remote operation of a large number of robotic devices for assessing the performance of different technologies in networking, sensing and mobile/autonomic application domains. These robotic devices will be: (a) Unmanned Ground Vehicles (UGV), (b) Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and (c) Unmanned Surface Vehicles (USVs). Devices will be hosted on a respective testbed and RAWFIE will feature a significant number of UxV nodes for exposing a vast test infrastructure to experimenters. All these items will be managed by a central controlling entity which will be programmed per case and it will fully overview/drive the operation of the respective mechanisms. Internet connectivity will be extended to the mobile units in order to enable the remote programming (over-the-air), control and data collection. The project will deliver the required software for experiments management, data collection and post-analysis. The vision of Experimentation-as-a-Service will be realized by virtualizing the provided software, making the framework available to any experimenter around the globe.
Users will be able to access RAWFIE resources and services through the portal and experimentation suite. The portal will include a user-friendly interface to illustrate all the essential information for the RAWFIE federation (i.e., authorization, documentation, testbeds and resources). In addition, the experimentation suite will provide a number of functionalities for the definition of experiment scenarios such as booking, monitoring and authoring tools. The set of RAWFIE partners will be supplemented through 2 Open Calls cycles (accounting for the 50% of the RAWFIE budget) in the direction of expanding the infrastructure and allowing a wide spectrum of experiments to be undertaken prior to the RAWFIE self-sustainability, resource autonomy phase. Third parties that will join RAWFIE consortium through the open calls are experimenters by providing specific experiment applications, testbed operators and UxV manufacturers.
- project internal use, RAWFIE experimenters (open calls funded), use by third parties with own or external funding.
- Vertical Use (i.e.,technology oriented) and
- Horizontal Use (i.e., application specific).